Justice Without Borders (JWB) is welcoming applications for the 2018-2019 Legal Fellowship in its Hong Kong office. Please click here for more information.
Fellows will engage in legal projects on behalf of victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking, covering Hong Kong and other countries in the region. As a Fellow, you will take on an active role in one or more projects that include: working with front-line NGOs and pro bono lawyers to identify and prepare cases for potential litigation, strategic legal research to support future litigation, and preparing training courses, among other daily tasks common to a small regional organization. You will also have the opportunity to coordinate with partners across the region, including Indonesia, the Philippines and Singapore, among others.
Please note that the Fellowship is a professional engagement, with students treated as junior staff in the organization. While experience with migrant worker issues is a plus, it is not required. We are looking for students who are interested in our issue area, are self-motivated, can work in a team and are not afraid to take on new challenges outside of their comfort zone.
About Justice Without Borders
JWB is a not-for-profit organisation that supports victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking in seeking just compensation against their abusers, even after returning home. Operating at the regional level, we work with local service organisations along key migration routes to ensure victims can access legal assistance, wherever they are.
In Hong Kong, JWB develops the knowledge and know-how needed to bring cross-border litigation, working with local service organisations to screen cases for potential civil claims and with lawyers to both develop cases and conduct strategic legal research that will help clarify currently unsettled areas of the law. This work mirrors our Singapore office, where we have already assisted lawyers in obtaining successful settlements for multiple clients.
- 10 hours per week. Priority will be given to those who can commit to both Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Semesters, from September 2018 to May 2019.
- Fluency in English, with strong written and oral communications skills;
- Strong legal research and writing skills;
- Ability to work well in a team, managing tasks assigned to the entire group;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines;
- Good time management skills;
- Self-directed, ability to take initiative and actively address issues that come up in the flow of work;
- Have their own laptop with Microsoft Office products and ability to communicate via web applications (email, calendar) throughout the day; and
- Professionalism. JWB treats its Fellows as professionals and entrusts high levels of responsibility in them accordingly.
Welcome but not required skills
- Speaking and writing ability in: Bahasa Indonesia or Malay, Mandarin, or Tagalog;
- Graphic design and layout skills; and
- Knowledge of website and social media tools, including WordPress, Twitter, and Facebook.
This is an unpaid fellowship.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, CV and a writing sample of no more than 10 pages to both Douglas MacLean at email@example.com and Justine Lam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due on Friday, 3rd August 2018.
Questions about the Fellowship? E-mail us today.
Have professional skills and some free time? Join JWB and help us build access to just compensation for all! Check this page regularly for our priority needs. We are always looking for those with legal, PR, artistic, and language skills (Bahasa Indonesia especially).
Please send a cover letter and CV to:
Executive Director, Justice Without Borders
maclean [at] forjusticewithoutborders.org