Justice Without Borders (JWB) is inviting applications for a Singapore-based Head of Office Position. This position will focus on expanding and strengthening JWB’s legal support, stakeholder outreach and development, and cross-border case management operations. The position is available from 1 June 2019.
Singapore residents with exisiting authorization to work welcome to apply. Note that we cannot accept those on spouse visas at this time.
The Head of Office will lead JWB’s projects in Singapore, while managing a team of volunteers primarily under our SILE-recognised Legal Fellowship Programme. Under this Fellowship, JWB hosts local law students who are integral in assisting us carry out our work. Fellows work semesters (Fall/Spring) as well as during university vacation periods.
The position would focus primarily on the following work streams:
1) Case development—including identifying potentially viable cases, developing litigation packages for our pro bono lawyers, placing cases within our legal network and liaising between our client in their home country and their pro bono lawyer in Singapore.
2) Training, capacity building and ongoing monitoring and evaluation—conducting evidence and caseworker trainings with our frontline partners, preparing training courses for Singapore and regional audiences, monitoring and evaluating the growth of participants and conducting strategic follow up activities.
3) Donor development—assist the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in developing donor relations.
4) Relationship management with new and existing partners—identifying and developing new strategic law firm, institutional or NGO partners while maintaining regular contact with existing ones in Singapore.
5) Managing strategic legal research—working with our Legal Fellows and law firm partners to identify and complete selected research, determined by needs of ongoing cases.
6) Outreach—identifying and implementing impactful channels for outreach to our target communities, including social media outreach.
TERMS OF WORK
Duration: The position would begin from 1 June 2019 or immediately afterwards upon hiring. Probationary period of 3 months.
Weekly hours: Full-time
Remuneration: Competitive NGO salary of S$4,000 – S$5500 full-time, based on qualifications and experience.
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
* Based in and eligible to work in Singapore.
* Legal degree and background (LLB, JD, LLM, etc) with minimum 2 years’ experience.
* Native/near native English ability, with strong writing, communications, presentation and analytical skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in an intercultural environment.
* Exceptional team attitude and desire to work as part of a team that includes probono volunteers throughout the year, especially law students.
* Willingness to learn and to go beyond one’s own comfort zone.
* Interest in being part of an innovative, start-up non-profit team that is unique in Singapore and working in a fast-paced environment.
* Self-directed and able to follow through on tasks and responsibilities independently.
Candidates who have the following preferred qualifications are strongly encouraged to apply:
* Previous pro bono legal experience (strongly preferred) or previous litigation experience in a Singapore law firm (strongly preferred).
* Previous experience volunteering or working at an NGO, especially volunteer management.
* Relevant experience in migrant worker issues or related fields.
* Speaking and writing ability in Bahasa Indonesia, Malay or Tagalog.
Please send a cover letter, CV, salary range and writing sample to:
Douglas MacLean, Executive Director