LOOKING TO PUT YOUR LEGAL SKILLS TO A GOOD CAUSE WHILE BUILDING YOUR REGIONAL CAREER?
Then come join a dynamic team working across Southeast Asia for migrant workers! Justice Without Borders (JWB) is hiring a full-time Legal Officer to join its team in Singapore. This junior role will dive into JWB’s legal portfolio for workers returning from Singapore to Indonesia and the Philippines.
This is an excellent opportunity for those with 1-3 years of disputes experience to hone their craft while putting their skills to a good cause. We offer work-life balance, professional development and international experience with a diverse team of passionate professionals across three countries.
ABOUT JUSTICE WITHOUT BORDERS
We are a regional not-for-profit that promotes access to justice for victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking, even after they return home. In just seven years, we have secured ground-breaking victories for vulnerable migrant workers.
Focusing on key countries in the Asia-Pacific region, our work includes legal support for clients, capacity building for frontline caseworkers, and network building that spans workers’ entire migration routes. We build access to justice that is efficient, effective and affordable for migrant workers, no matter where they happen to be. Learn more at www.forjusticewithoutborders.org.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
I) Legal Programme Support
Under the direction of senior management, the Legal Officer (LO) will engage in the following:
Developing cases for migrant workers in need
- The LO will coordinate our case portfolio. Workstreams include case development, coordinating with stakeholders locally and abroad, and client engagement.
Manage and improve case processes
- We want to do the best we can for our clients, and share best practices with our networks in the field. The LO will identify lessons learned from our casework to improve both our case management processes and enhance our caseworker training programmes.
Coordinate and advance strategic legal research
- JWB’s law firm partners help us advance cutting edge legal research in our field. The LO will coordinate with our partners to advance existing research and identify topics for future exploration. They will also coordinate publication and any related workshops showcasing the work.
Managing our case learnings
- Work with fellow JWB team members to develop and consolidate JWB’s growing knowledge bank. We aim to share our successes (and setbacks) with other lawyers and NGOs to advance our field.
II) Stakeholder Engagement
The LO will enjoy many opportunities to work with our diverse network of stakeholders, from frontline NGOs to law firm partners, to JWB team members across the region. Workstreams include:
Supporting JWB’s legal training programmes
- Working with senior management, the LO will support trainings that build our frontline partners’ abilities in cross-border litigation for workers returning from Singapore. Trainings range from introductory workshops to long-term mentorship programmes.
Direct stakeholder engagement
- The LO will maintain existing relationships with stakeholders that connect with our programmes. These will include counterparts at law firms, NGOs, and university law faculty, among others.
III) Organizing JWB Volunteers
Volunteers and law student Legal Fellows are key members of our team. The LO will help recruit and work with volunteers, who will support the LO in carrying out their work.
IV) Supporting Other Areas of JWB’s Work
JWB values staff input at all levels. The LO will bring their perspectives to our strategic planning, reports to our funders, and to the PR activities that drive awareness raising. These are supporting roles, with more senior staff showing the Legal Officer the ropes.
- Legal background in Singapore law, with a degree in law (e.g LLB, JD, LLM)
- 1-3 years’ PQE, with litigation experience strongly preferred
- Passion and commitment to access to justice
- Fluent in English with excellent writing, communications and presentation skills
- Based in and eligible to work in Singapore–those requiring visas or LOC are not eligible
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strategizing capabilities
- Have effective project and time management skills
- Be conscientious (self-directed and able to follow through on tasks and responsibilities diligently, correctly and independently)
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to collaborate with different stakeholders
- Sensitivity in approaching clients (e.g. gender & cultural sensitivity, sensitivity in dealing with vulnerable people, including people with potential trauma etc.)
Desirable Experience (but not critical)
- Experience with migrant worker issues
- Experience working in NGO/not-for-profit mission-driven organisations
- Experience working in growing organisations
- Experience working with vulnerable people
- Experience managing and developing a team of volunteers
- Fluency in spoken and written Bahasa Indonesia or Tagalog
TERMS OF THE POSITION
- Full-time position
- Salary range between $4,100-$4,800 SGD per month; remuneration depending on the experience level of the candidate
- Professional development with advancement opportunities within the organisation
- Paid time off included
- Aiming to fill the position as soon as we’ve found the right candidate
- JWB is an equal opportunity employer. We seek colleagues with the motivation, experience and competencies to help us give our very best in the interest of migrant workers across the region.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send a cover letter, CV and writing sample to Douglas MacLean, Executive Director via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications considered on a rolling basis. We will close as soon as we find the right candidate.