November 2018 marked our 5th anniversary serving migrant workers. Our work has shown that migrant workers can get compensation, wherever they are. We are now building a critical mass of cases that will help us identify the best practices needed to make these actions effective, efficient, and above all affordable.
Highlights for 2018 were as follows:
Hong Kong SAR, China
• Ground-breaking High Court decision that, for the first time ever, makes lower courts accessible to workers who have returned home through video conference.
• First successful cross-border settlement reached for client.
• Mentorship for migrant worker labour unions, which set the stage to increase much-needed frontline caseworkers.
• New evidence collection strategies uncover critical documents for workers.
• Practical research & guide to insurance claims in Indonesia launched.
• First multi-national settlement: Indonesian client abused in Singapore, returned home and then sought compensation after re-migrating to Malaysia.
• Strategic legal research on illegal deployment and a new focused version of our Practitioner’s Manual launched.
• Case training for new frontline partners, including migrant worker community leaders. They are the first line of detection for workers in need. Philippines
• First cross-border litigation training held in Manila, co-hosted by the UN International Labour Organisation (ILO).