2019 was a transformational year for us at Justice Without Borders with many highlights that continue to set the stage for our next five years across Asia:
Hong Kong SAR
• Mentorship programme with Federation of Asian Domestic Workers Union (FADWU) to raise capacity level.
• Historic moment in Hong Kong legal history when first migrant worker has day in court via video link.
• Inaugural Case Roundtable with law firm partners to share case learning.
• Great outcome in disability discrimination case.
• Hong Kong edition of practical research and guide on measuring damages for injuries that migrant workers suffer.
• Intensive internship programme to take capacity building to the next level for key NGO partners.
• New strategy in tackling overcharging of agency fees with ‘Reverse Cross-border’ mass claims.
• Unprecedented 9 field trips to more than 40 frontline organisations across key migrant worker sending regions.
• First-ever training workshop for Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff.
• Local PR agency partnerships to take communications expertise to the next level.
• Deepening frontline engagement and reaching new community groups like FILODEP, Suara Kita and Blessed Grace Community Church.
• Singapore edition of practical guide on measuring damages for injuries that migrant workers suffer.
• ILO Training and Mentorship Programme kicks off Philippines capacity building.
• JWB Executive Director showcases work at ILO Conference for World Day Against Human Trafficking in Qatar.